Searching for the perfect moving company can be a tedious and stressful process. There are a lot of options out there are you want to make sure you choose the right fit for you. It’s important to keep in mind that when something seems too good to be true, it often is. At Osmon Moving & Storage we believe in simplifying your move from start to finish, which is why we have created this handy reference guide to make things a little easier when speaking with potential moving companies. Whether you choose to move with us or decide to go a different direction, we want to make sure you are well taken care of. Security, trust and communication are key to ensuring a smooth and stress free moving experience. Ask lots of questions and most importantly make sure you feel comfortable and secure with the company that will be handling your belongings.
Not all moving companies are as honest or professional as they should be. These questions will help you weed out the duds and focus on the movers that truly have your best interests in mind.
- Is the company licensed? It’s important to make sure you choose a licensed moving company. You can request proof when speaking with the moving consultant or you can check the Department of Transportations website.
- Are your items insured? While the movers might be insured it does not guarantee that your belongings are. Be sure to request detailed information on the available insurance options before making your decision.
- Does the company have positive reviews? The internet offers a variety of resources to help you check the reputation of any moving company. Using sites like Yelp to see how many positive reviews a company has before booking can allow you to do some research in advance and gain a little peace of mind before booking.
- Are the movers full time employees or brokered from other companies? When selecting your moving company you want to find a business that employee’s permanent full time movers. If a company brokers out their movers or uses day laborers you may run into some issues that could cost you time and money.
- Does the company provide workers compensation? All reputable moving companies should offer workers compensation. Accidents can happen and if they do, you shouldn’t be held responsible, workers compensation helps to ensure that.
- Are the movers professionally trained? Using untrained or improperly trained employees or day laborers can affect your move in a really negative way, resulting in damaged item and extended hours. When Movers are trained and work together on a full time basis they learn how to move quickly and efficiently together, saving you time and money.
- Does the company offer a free moving quote? All reputable moving companies will offer FREE moving quotes. You should never pay for a quote. Ever.
- Do they provide direct contact to customer service? Communication is key to a successful and stress free move. You want to make sure the company who is moving you offers a clear line of communication through the entire moving process. You should be given customer service numbers that are reachable during your move in case any issues may occur. If a company doesn’t offer you access to a direct line, you may want to reconsider using them.
- Do they provide a service window for your moving day? There is no reason to sit around all day waiting for your movers. All reputable moving companies will give you an arrival window so you know when you can expect your movers and be properly prepared.
- Is all the necessary equipment provided? Providing moving equipment such as hand trucks (dolli for boxes), furniture dollies (flat on wheels) and basic tools should be standard with any reputable moving company. Make sure that you know what tools and supplies will be provided and don’t pay extra for things that should be included.
- What additional items are included? Some companies choose to offer additional complimentary items such as wardrobe boxes, furniture blankets and stretch wrap. Understanding what add-ons are included and what add-ons will cost you extra is important to getting the most accurate quote for your move.
- What additional fees may apply? If you have oversized items, are moving during a peak season or live in a walk up building there may be additional fee’s. It’s important to be honest about your moving situation in order to get an accurate quote upfront so that you do not incur any last minute surprise costs on the day of your move.
- What payment options are accepted? All reputable moving companies should accept the major forms of payment. If a company only accepts cash, that is definitely a red flag and you may want to avoid them.
- Do they require a deposit? It is standard practice for moving companies to require a deposit. This will secure your date and prevent any overbooking. This deposit should be refundable for a certain window of time. It is important to discuss with your consultant how long that time is and if the deposit counts toward your total moving costs.
- What is the cancellation policy? You should always be able to postpone or cancel your service up until a few days before the move without penalty. You will want to discuss this cancellation policy prior to signing any contracts or putting down your deposit.
Peace of Mind
- If they don’t ask questions before quoting…run
- Many companies, including rainbow, may offer referral discounts or other deals. If you someone you know recommended you reach out to a company then don’t be afraid to ask if they offer any specials rates.
- Some of these question may already be answered on the company website. You can do a little research before calling or giving away your details to see if the company fits your criteria.
For more information on LA moves, see https://osmonmoving.com/how-to-find-a-los-angeles-moving-company/“How to Find a Los Angeles Moving Company – The Complete Guide!”